Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Jai Roots & The Herb N Cafe Project

WORLD WORN REGGAE
Jai from Jai Roots & The Herb N Cafe Project
story by: G.Tomas Vasquez 2010
Each and every city in the world, no matter how big or small has its own unique history of culture, traditions and, of course, music. 
Singer and Songwriter Jai Lopez has been traveling the world getting his share of music and culture from all over.  Since 2006 he has been bringing it all together to produce a sound so multi-cultural he boasts it as being a product straight out of San Antonio.
Jai "Roots" Lopez was born in Brooklyn and raised on the island of St. Croix of the Virgin Islands  but He spent most of his life in San Antonio and That’s exactly what his music reverberates.  “I’m from the Islands and my music has an island urban twang, it’s not cumbia based but in was created in San Antonio, a lot of inspiration for my music was given to me here.  So in some certain way shape or form this music belongs to San Antonio.”

The sound cannot be summed up in just one word. It is Reggae/Roots with Latin swing and an urban feel. You can enjoy listening to these tunes while barbqing in your backyard surrounded by tiki torches and still be taken to the islands.  Still some songs really make you want to get your cumbia merengue dance on.
No matter how near or far we travel people will always listen to music as an outlet to vent their frustrations or share their happy memories with loved ones.  Music can be used as a tool to prepare one’s mind when going to war or sooth and relax ones soul when feeling the pain of a broken heart.   He confidently feels that traveling outside of your city will help you grow and find your calling by learning from those experiences.  “I always tell people leave.” Jai states, “A lot of people here don’t leave.  It’s not like where you’re at ain’t got it going on. You benefit when you go and explore and see yourself in another setting.  You put yourself around in a big city like a setting like New York is different where everybody is trying to make it. Everybody has a game and a lot of people, their  game is real tight.  They got a plan. We’re independent, so brothers that are doing what we’re doing over there are doing it on another level.  It’s crazy when you go in a big city because you gotta be confident in what you’re doing.  That’s the good thing of what a big city does for you.  You surround yourself with people like that and instead of getting intimidated you get inspired” 
This is not the first time Jai has been part of a musical group.  “I had another band called Jemeya that ran from 99 until 2002.” Jai continues, “It started out as a trio; Carlos, myself and Maya.  We started building it up and it turning to an electric project and it was doing good and we even got label attention.”  Eventually that project ended when Maya went back to Spain and Jai left the county to travel.
His growing fan base here in our great city is apparent at each and every show where they perform.  His many travels have taught him to be grateful for the welcomed feeling he gets from being in San Antonio.  Even being from the rough parts of New York has showed him the unique differences each city has to offer.    “You can’t compare stuff that San Antonio has with New York.  New York will always be New York, but San Antonio has the hill country.” Jai continues, “San Antonio has a different vibe because it’s close to the border.  It’s a brown city which makes me feel good being home.  It’s like I’m home.”

Jai Roots & The Herb N Café Project is now currently recording their long awaited EP at Sprocket Productions. Complete with 6 tracks which features the hot single “Buena" which was co-produced by Jai and San Antonio based McCumba Music.  Make sure to keep your ears open for their CD release that includes 2 live songs coming out later this year.  Not only is Jai Lopez heavily involved in the music scene but he’s also putting together a journal of his experiences on paper.  “I won’t call myself a writer but I’m trying to write a book.  I write what I feel.  It’s about my experiences with everything and the people I’ve met along my journey that has helped me to see this and helped me see that.”
 Another group breaking out of SA and making it big could give our humble city some long overdue exposure.  It seems as if Jai already has his heart set on giving San Antonio all the credit. It doesn’t matter where I go.  Even though I’m from St. Croix and Brooklyn I tell em San Antonio.  I represented San Antonio for 11 years with a band outta Mexico called Veracruz traveling the world.  When they introduced me they introduced me from San Antonio.  I’ve done a lot of stuff where I’ve put this place on the map.  This city has got something magical man I tell you.”  Jai states proudly.  “San Antonio is like a baby city which is good for us. You’re doing big things, I feel like I’m doing big things, everybody I’ve been coming across now is growing and the city is growing so were growing right along with the city.
The positive energy and emotion was felt when seeing them perform at the annual Reggae Salute Festival at Sunken Gardens this father’s day weekend.  The sun was blazing and the shade was scarce but The Herb N Café Project still managed to get people out of their seats and get them moving and grooving during their set.  So instead of staying in this evening grab your local music publication and find out where the next Jai Roots and The Herb N Café Project is playing!  You will not be disappointed.
  “The band is who I am, worldly yet urban, a musical representation of countries, islands, the hills, and the rainforests from all corners of the world; this is where I come from."
- Jai Roots

Members:
Jai Roots, lead vocals, percussion
Maya Guirao, guitar, back-up vocals                                                                                                
Carlos “Chamo” Brunicardi, accessories   

Alex McCumba, keyboard, production
Jim Kalson, bass
Ruben Hernandez, drums
Eric Rosales, guitar


For booking: http://jairoots.com/

Backbeat Magazine #10 July 2010 Issue
To view entire Issue please visit http://backbeatzine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment